PUBLIC POLICY…..MEANING, TYPES, FEATURES AND OUTCOMES
All about public policy…
It is a relatively stable, definite course of action decided by an public authority in dealing with a problem or matter of public concern. Whatever government chooses to do or not to do about a problem that comes before them for consideration and possible action . It is a collective decision making process to solve public problems. Public policy is the output of political system through policies intended societal goals are achieved.
FEATURES OF PUBLIC POLICY…
This policy is a solution to issue or problem ( policy demands) that are brought on agenda of government and requires attention. Policy may be in the form of law , regulation, plan , program, schemes , guidelines, codes or combination of these. Policy is sustained course of actions taken over time not discrete decisions. Output of policy was to measure physical results of policy and its outcome was to check policies consequences on targeted groups or socities.
TYPES OF PUBLIC POLICY…
• Arena of policy making: legislative vs administrative vs judicial.
• Substantive vs procedural
• Distributive and re-distributive
• Regulatory vs self regulatory
• Material vs symbolic
• Policies involving public goods vs private goods.
POLICY’S POOR OUTCOMES..
• Problem wrongly identified:
1)Socio economic problems are extremely complex and vague.
2) No general agreement on what the problems are.
• Faulty policy formulation :
1) Lack substantive value or content to solve the problem.
2) Difficult or too costly to implement.
• Sub standard implementation:
1) Role of Bureaucracy.
2) Federal policy lack of coordination between centre and state.
3) Vested interests and corruptions.